Thursday, June 12, 2014

Uzoenyi - A surprise to return for the World Cup


Uzoenyi says he's still in a daze back for World Cup
Uzoenyi says he's still in a daze back for World Cup
Late replacement for the World Cup Ejike Uzoenyi has said he still cannot believe that he is back to feature at Brazil 2014 after he was initially dropped.

The Enugu Rangers forward was a replacement for AS Monaco defender Elderson Echiejile, who has been ruled out of the tournament no thanks to a muscle tear injury in the United States of America.

Uzoenyi rejoined the Super Eagles squad in Brazil on Wednesday and he said he is thrilled to be in Brazil for the World Cup after he was first dropped from the country’s provisional squad.

“Its wonderful thing, it’s good to be back. I give God all the glory, it’s God who brought me back. The whole players ran to me and they were happy to have me back,” said the MVP of the 2014 CHAN.

“It’s still a surprise for me. I thought this World Cup was not for me.”

He also spared a thought for injured Elderson, who he replaced.

“I pray for quick recovery for Echiejile. I felt so bad for him. I didn’t want to replace an injured player because it could be me or any body in his place,” he reasoned.

He said he is now back in Brazil to give everything for Nigeria.

“I want to start from where I stopped. This is my team. My spirit was still with the team (even after he was dropped). I started out with Keshi from day 1 and he has there for me even when I was down, he's been a father to me,” he said.

“This is a remarkable thing in my life. I will give everything because my performance will say ‘thank you Jesus’.”

No comments:

Post a Comment